Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program
The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) provides checks for eligible seniors to use at Farmers Markets throughout King County. The 2014 application process opened on April 15. It will close on Thursday, May 15. All applications must be postmarked on or before May 15.
Because of the limited number available, checks are distributed by a random selection process among the total applications received. All applicants will receive information about their status by mail, no later than July 1.
- 2013 Participating Farmers Markets (farmers markets authorized to accept WIC and SFMNP checks last year—an updated list will be posted prior to July 1, 2014)
- Other Farmers Markets (confirm in advance whether the market accepts SFMNP checks): map | list
Eligible applicants must be:
- 60 years old or older (or 55+ for American Indian/Alaska Native), AND
- Low-income (below 185% of Federal Poverty Level):*
- $1,799 monthly income for one person
- $2,425 monthly income for two people
- For larger households, add $625 per month for each additional person
2014 SFMNP applications are posted below. Proxy forms can be used to name a representative for the SFMNP.
For assistance completing your application, contact:
- Senior Information & Assistance:
206-448-3110 or (toll-free) 1-888-4-ELDERS
- Community Information & Assistance (specialized information and assistance programs for a variety of cultural communities)
- SFMNP Survey Results
Results of 2003 survey distributed to farmers, market managers, and senior consumers.
- SFMNP Evaluation
Detailed evaluation of market basket pilot project.
- Research articles on the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Pilot Program published in January 2004 issue of Preventing Chronic Disase, Centers for Disease Control:
- Washington State DSHS Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program