Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program
The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) provides checks for eligible seniors to use at Farmers Markets throughout King County. The 2015 application process opened on Monday, April 20, and will close on Friday, May 15.
Because of the limited number available, checks are distributed by a random selection process among the total applications received. Checks will be mailed by July 1.
Find a farmers market near you!
- 2015 Participating Farmers Markets (Seattle-King County farmers markets authorized to accept WIC and SFMNP checks in 2015)—COMING IN MAY
- Washington State Farmers Market Association (confirm in advance whether the market accepts SFMNP checks)
- Puget Sound Fresh Farmers Market List (confirm in advance whether the market accepts SFMNP checks)
Eligible applicants must be:
- 60 years old or older (or 55+ for American Indian/Alaska Native), AND
- Low-income (below 185% of Federal Poverty Level):*
- $1,815 monthly income for one person
- $2,456 monthly income for two people
- For larger households, add $641 per month for each additional person
2015 SFMNP applications are posted below. Note: Proxy forms are provided for anyone wishing to assign a representative.
SFMNP participants have specific Rights and Responsibilities, outlined online in 11 languages (click here).
For assistance completing your application, contact:
- Senior Information & Assistance:
206-448-3110 or (toll-free) 1-888-4-ELDERS
- Community Information & Assistance (specialized information and assistance programs for a variety of cultural communities)
- Program Brochures (multiple languages)
- Fruit & Vegetable Brochures (multiple languages)
- Fresh From the Farm Newsletters (English, Russian and Spanish)
Results of 2003 survey distributed to farmers, market managers, and senior consumers.
Detailed evaluation of market basket pilot project. Research articles on the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Pilot Program published in January 2004 issue of Preventing Chronic Disase, Centers for Disease Control:
- "Increasing Fruit & Vegetable Intake in Homebound Elders"
- "Qualitative Assessment of Participant Utilization and Satisfaction"