Popular One-Day Conference for Family and In-Home Providers
On Monday, June 3, 2019 a day-long conference for caregivers called “Giving Care, Taking Care” will take place in Tukwila. The event is hosted by the Aging and Long-Term Support Administration, Full Life Care, and Pierce County Human Services, with the support of numerous community organizations.
Wendy Lustbader, nationally known speaker, author, and storyteller, will share her wisdom and experience in her keynote presentation, “Counting on Kindness,” exploring the dilemmas and rewards of depending on others for care. She’ll also tackle the challenging situations that can complicate family dynamics in caregiving. Finally, Lustbader will share strategies for improving interactions when dealing with difficult personalities.
Caregivers can also choose from 16 workshops and visit over 40 exhibitors with resource information about products and services that assist caregivers throughout Washington state. Caregivers will have the opportunity to meet with agency representatives and learn where and how they can get the help they need.
A sample of workshop topics includes:
- Creative Tools for Caregiving
- Dementia Basics
- Essential Legal Documents
- Reducing Stress
- Taking Care of Your Back
- Living with Loss, Moving Toward Hope
- Dealing with Difficult Personalities
- Decision Making for Long Term Care
- Family Dynamics in Caregiving
This conference is intended for caregivers including:
- Family caregivers—spouses, adult children, parents of adults with disabilities, or other relatives (however you define family)
- Home care workers and adult day services staff
- Adult family home or assisted living staff
- Social service or mental health professionals who work with family caregivers
The Early Registration fee (by May 13) for individual caregivers is $35. Scholarships are available for unpaid family caregivers. The Early Registration fee for agency-based caregivers is $55. Fees include workshops, lunch, and resource exhibits. Registration forms will be available in April. Space is limited, so don’t delay!
For more information or to receive a full brochure and registration materials, call 1-800-422-3263 or 360-725-2544 or click here.
This article originally appeared in the March 2019 issue of AgeWise King County.