Thank you to Age Friendly Seattle for developing the following materials for event planners:
- Meeting the Needs of People with disAbilities: Community Guide to Accessible Events & Meetings
- Top 10 Tips
- Communication Access for Individuals Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Accessibility and Accommodation Notice (sample)
Other useful information includes:
- Consumer Awareness and … Guidelines for Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) Providers
- Communicating With and About People with Disabilities offers examples of “people first” language and language to avoid (Centers for Disease Control).
- Engaging People with Disabilities in Evidence-Based Programs includes disability etiquette and tips for interacting with people with all types of disabilities (National Council on Aging).
- How to Plan an Accessible Public Meeting (AgeWise King County, July 2015)
- A Planning Guide for Making Temporary Events Accessible to People with Disabilities (ADA National Network)
- Renewing the Commitment: An ADA Compliance Guide for Nonprofits includes sections on communication, emergency procedures, meetings and special events, and health care (The Chicago Community Trust).